Hello my fellow Bookworms and Page Turners,
Today we are going to talk about one of my pet peeves, killing characters. Now dont get me wrong, I have no problem with authors killing characters off, but I personally feel there is a way and a way not to kill characters.
now I understand that this is completley subjective, and I would like to hear from you in the comments if you disagree with my reasoning.
Good reasons to kill a character
- To advance the plot
- To manipulate / motivate a character
- To add realism to the story
- If the character is a right B@#t!rd (Comeuppance for their actions)
Bad reasons to kill a character
- To unjustly upset the reader
- To create a shock factor thats not plot based.
- To remove an extraneous character – (your story should not have reoccuring extraneous characters, all reoccuring characters in the story should be somewhat integral to the plot.)